Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm Just Sayin...

OK-I know I have made this point before, but I am feeling the need to make it again...

I went to Walgreens today and spent $2.87 + tax on all of this and left with $10 in Register Rewards (which is a coupon you can use on anything at Walgreens). The value of all of is this $44.33 so that is a savings of $41.46



I went to CVS yesterday and spent $4.78 + tax for all of this and left with $5 in Extra Care Bucks (which is like money to be used at CVS). The total value of all of this is $91.44 so that is a savings of $86.68.

So my point is not-WOW! Look how much stuff I got! My point is LOOK AT HOW MUCH MONEY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND! Grocery stores and drug stores GIVE STUFF AWAY! If there is the slightest wish in your heart that you could find a way to save some money, this is where to do it-On your grocery and personal care bills. I went to the grocery store the other day and I got $200 worth of groceries for $60! Right now at Publix you can get 4 cans of Progresso Soup, a big box of Premium Saltines, 4 cans of Pilsbury biscuits, and 4 reusable grocery bags for $3.09. I mean seriously!?!
It's done with a combination of sales, coupons (yes, coupons. For heaven's sake-its just like free money!), and working the stores' loyalty programs. Does it take some work? Yes, it does. But even if you think you don't have the time to get it all together there are SO many websites and blogs out there that do all of the work for you and just tell you (for free!) how and where to get the best deals. Also, once you have shopped like this for a while it just becomes second nature.
Look-If they sell it at CVS or Walgreens-you shouldn't pay more than a few cents for it ever again! (I am super sorry to those of you who do not have access to these stores, but I'd encourage you to check out your local drugstores and see what kind of deals you can find.)
Ok so you might ask--8 deodorants?? Yes, 8 deodorants because I paid $1.43 for them and got back a $10 Register Reward which I will be able to combine with my left over $3 register reward and my $5 off Enfamil formula coupon and pay $6 for a can of formula instead of $24. But, how long will it take you to use 8 deodorants? A super long time considering I don't use that kind of deodorant (I mean, deodorant is really one of those things where you gotta go with what works for you), but I know of a few different people who could use a bag of toiletries and a couple of local organizations who would love the donation.
How to accomplish all of this? Just go here. Jenny at Southern Savers has done a fantastic job of outlining how to shop at the different drug and grocery stores and how she handles coupons among other things. I was blessed beyond belief back in the early Spring to be able to sit down and talk for a long time with a wonderful woman who has been shopping this way for close to 20 years. She shared all of her wisdom and time-tested methods and tips with me and it truly has changed the way I view money, my job in my family, and of course shopping. So I'm always happy to share what I have learned with anyone at any time. I am directing you to Jenny only because she has already done all of leg work.
A lot of people seem to not consider shopping this way because either they think it takes too much time, or that you can't get good products, or maybe they're just too cool for it, but none of that is true! Just give it a try-see how much money you don't spend and you will not want to throw money away ever again!
Like I said--I would love to help or answer questions or heck even go shopping with you if you are in the Bham area.
PS-shopping at drugstores like that can be addicting (no, seriously--just search some blogs and you'll see what I mean) and that's never good, so I encourage you not to look at it as a game, but rather a way to maximize your dollar.

3 comments:

E said...

Hey :) Somehow I found your blog, and I'm very anxious to hear about your next purchases! I started getting the paper a while back, but I haven't had much "luck" yet. I work full time right now, so on the weekends, I'm just aiming to get the grocery shopping DONE!
My husband sees the coupons/paper as a waste, so I'm very ready to show him it's not!
Thanks for sharing your shopping with us :)

JaNeT said...

Girl! I guess I have been living under a rock! I can't wait to get started on this and learn my way around Southern Savers! Your family is just precious! Hope all is well!

Brooke said...

Hey Meredith! Laura Pickard is one of my best friends and I just started using Southern Savers last week and was telling her about my savings and she told me about your blog! My husband and I actually just moved to birmingham last Jan. Haven't met many people, but thankful to know we have a great mutal friend! I might have coupon questions in the next few weeks! What part of bham are y'all in?

Brooke Sample
brooke.malpass@gmail.com